What is a Board Certified Attorney?
The Texas Board of Legal Specialization operates under the authority of the Supreme Court of Texas. The TBLS recognizes attorneys in various areas of law, who because of experience, training and knowledge are awarded certificates of special competence.
Requirements for an attorney to become Board Certified?
- been licensed for at least 5 years
- spent three years of practice in specialty field
- devoted 25-50% of practice to field of specialty
- handled a wide variety of cases in specialty field
- attended continuing legal education seminars
- received approval of judges and colleagues
- passed a written examination
There are currently only 726 attorneys in the State of Texas certified in Family Law and 1,111 certified in Civil Trial Law. Certification is for a period of five years. In order to remain board certified after that time, the attorney must apply for re-certification every five years.
Texas Board of Legal Specialization
P. O. Box 12487
Austin, TX 78711